Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Holy Dramatic Action!



After researching and viewing much of the work of hugely successful film and TV producer, Jerry Bruckheimer, I think it’s safe to say that the man likes a little bit of action. With major Hollywood hits like, Beverly Hills Cop, Top Gun, Gone in Sixty Seconds, Armageddon, Pearl Harbor, and Pirates of the Caribbean to name a few, and more importantly to this discussion, his best known television series, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, CSI: Miami, CSI: NY, Without a Trace, Cold Case, Amazing Race, and most recently, The Forgotten, it’s clear that Jerry Bruckheimer likes to keep his audiences spellbound with suspense. I must admit he’s reeled me in. I can’t wait to watch the South Florida forensics team of CSI: Miami and the juicy homicide cases under investigation each week. It is through my obsession with problem solving and the perpetual anticipation of what’s going to happen next that I have fallen in love with the work of Mr. Bruckheimer and discovered some of his signature traits. After a brief synopsis of Bruckheimer’s life, I will discuss the significant qualities consistent within much of his work, specifically his television series. I will be particularly addressing the reoccurring themes of dramatic-action and investigation as well as the unswerving textual similarities between many of his currently airing programs. (Jerry Bruckheimer, Wikipedia)

Born in Detroit, Michigan, Bruckheimer did not grow up envisioning himself as one of the most successful film and television producers of all time. Bruckheimer however, always had a passion for photography. He entered several contests when he was younger where he was honored for his ability to see the world in a different way; perhaps this was an inkling to the phenomenal camera work utilized later in his career. He attended the University of Arizona for college where he studied psychology. It also seems to be plausible that his study of human behaviors was put to good use through the dramatic nature of much of his film and television work. His first job after college was in a mailroom of a New York advertising agency. It was here that he got wind of a fellow employee taking off to Hollywood to give the movie-making business a go and where he decided he wanted to give it a chance too. To make a long story short, Bruckheimer connected with Don Simpson (another very successful movie producer) and his career took off. Jerry Bruckheimer has been credited with over 40 box office hits and it is not surprising that he decided to try his hand at television. (Jerry Bruckheimer, Hollywood.com)

Bruckheimer has produced nearly 20 television series since 1997 and has 6 very successful series on the air currently. When asked in several interviews about the premise for much of his work he simply suggests that he makes things that he would want to go see himself. He has also revealed that an important element emphasized in many of his films and television series is the feeling of emotional triumph. With nearly all of his most successful television series being based on the investigation of brutal homicides past and present, the characters within the program and the audience watching both portray and actually feel a sense of triumph or success when the investigation is solved. This is an important audience/character connection pertinent to the success of these series. Aside from the dialogue and physical proceedings of the characters in theses programs, the dramatic action that takes place to trigger these reciprocal actions are also a repetitive thematic motif entangled within Bruckheimer’s work. Obviously homicide investigation is a serious topic and provides much drama, specifically pertaining to the discovery of the dead bodies and then the reactions of the families. The intense action that is then taken to identify the killers of the victims is what gives the programs their suspense. (Galloway, Starinterview, Youtube)

When specifically taking a look at three of his hit television series, CSI: Miami, Cold Case, and new this fall, The Forgotten, the similarities between the three were seemingly endless. One of the most prominent similarities, aside from the fact that they are all about homicide investigations, is the use of flashbacks to orient the viewer with an event that took place before the present time. Every one of these shows inserts flashbacks throughout each episode. These flashbacks are necessary to understanding the events of the murder and help to progress the episode to conclusion. Another similarity the three programs share is the use of Extreme Long Shots, specifically aerial shots to familiarize the viewers with the location of the episode. These shots are seen several times throughout each episode to reestablish location. Also conclusive in all three programs is the use of Extreme Close Up shots, specifically when looking at evidence from the crime scenes. Often times the camera is directed on the object being studied, for instance a piece of glass with a fingerprint on it. Beyond the similar filming criteria used in all of the programs, they also all contain like costuming (professional attire), the use of suspenseful music and sound effects (i.e. flashing camera sounds while still images of the crime scene are visible), and the presence of sets (a mock laboratory or police office) and on site locations for filming. All of these elements work together to create an overall feeling for each program.

Through my exploration of Jerry Bruckheimer and his incredible achievements in both film and television, I have concluded that he is a man who likes to portray what he’s interested in on to the screen. When it comes to his television series he is clearly inspired by human behavior with the overwhelming amount of promgrams he’s produced based on homicide investigations. His work is noted for action and drama, both being emphasized through extraordinary filming techniques. Obviously Bruckheimer’s work is of great popularity and it is without question that his success will continue—at the very least, I know I’ll still be watching.

Bibliography

Galloway, Stephen. "Jerry Bruckheimer, producer." The Hollywood Reporter. 17 Nov. 2003. Web. 13 Oct. 2009. .

"Jerry Bruckheimer." Hollywood.com. Web. 13 Oct. 2009. .

"Jerry Bruckheimer." Wikipedia. Web. 13 Oct. 2009. .

“Starinterview Jerry Bruckheimer.” Youtube. Web. 13 Oct. 2009. .

4 comments:

  1. I was attracted to your blog because the name "Addicted to TV on DVD" is the story of my life! My roommates and I find ourselves glued to couch every time we begin a new season of a show on dvd. It's amazing!
    Your analysis of Jerry Bruckheimer's work was very interesting to me. I knew his name and that he was a film director but otherwise never knew of his work in TV. It is an intriguing comparison considering both his work done with film and in TV has similar aspects that contribute to his work as an auteur. When you say "the dramatic action that takes place to trigger these reciprocal actions are also a repetitive thematic motif entangled within Bruckheimer’s work." Not only is that a well-written explanation on your part but also demonstrates your understanding of Bruckheimer's work and the reasoning behind his signature style. It also gives readers like me further insight into his motives for directing the way that he does.
    In my blog about an auteur I wrote about Larry David. What I notice from both of our blogs is that both David and Bruckheimer take notions from their personal lives and interests and incorporate that into their work. I guess I never realized how great that must be to be a successful TV or film producer and being allowed to convey your own interests into your projects which in turn gives the audience their own sense of meaning and interest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also wrote about Jerry Bruckheimer and I found it interesting how he engages his audience as well. He has created so many hit television shows that have been on air for several seasons, I believe he has a secret recipe for success hidden somewhere in his wallet! He really engages his audience using all of his textual elements, it is hard not to get wrapped up in the people they storyline is following. I find myself sitting down for an hour just to make sure the family of the murdered son gets some resolution in their lives. I feel a huge sense of relief, almost as if I know the family! I wonder if it is the way he engages audiences in the actual personal lives of many of the victims.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog first appealed to me because of your name, like stated by another blogger. I spend a lot of my TV viewing time watching seasons that I or my friends have bought.

    But the real winner was your description of Jerry Bruckheimer. He is virtually known by almost everyone as is associated with movies like you stated, especially my favorite Pirates of the Caribbean. I was not aware though that he produced the CSI series and much more. I eventually would have made the connection I'm sure if I followed the shows more carefully! But after you listed all of his involvement throughout his career I was surprised to see his style was pretty repetitive, but hugely successful!

    What drew me in to really continue reading your blog was when I read that Bruckheimer was a Psychology major, no wonder he is amazing at knowing what his audience wants to see! That is something I did not know before and will probably never forget when discussing Bruckheimer! I also enjoyed your explanation of how Bruckheimer involves his audience, because I feel that everyone would agree he can get his viewers emotionally involved with ever episode of CSI!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Much the same as Beth and Courtney, I was attracted to your blog by your title. I must admit to liking TV on DVD much more than merely watching TV during it's syndicated time.

    Further, I have to state that I was familiar with the name Jerry Bruckheimer; however, I had no idea of the full scope of his work! I think that you did a great job pointing out how truly successful he is at almost creating a rapport with an audience through his characters and then further having his audience members hooked through the suspense of his shows and movies. Lastly, it was really interesting to find out that Bruckheimer studied psychology while in college as many of his texts really do "get into the minds" of both his characters and his audiences.

    ReplyDelete